Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Red Velvet Love...xoxo

Red Velvet Cupcakes
Month two of cooking my way through my calender and this month is all about hot RED!!! This recipe yields 24 cupcakes... Yeah... you're reading that correctly... I said two dozen cupcakes!!! So there's plenty to go around (or to keep all for yourself)!!


Ingredients:
1 box of yellow cake mix
2 tbsp cocoa powder
5 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
red food dye

Frosting:
1 pkg cream cheese (softened)
1/4 cup butter (softened)
2 1/4 powdered sugar (sifted)
1 tsp vanilla extract


Directions:
Preheat the oven according to the cake mix. Blend together cake mix, cocoa powder, eggs, oil and milk. Then add food coloring until you achieve the desired red. Here is my before and after... You can't tell from the picture but the mix was almost as red as my mixing bowl... Yumm!!

Add cupcake liners to pan then fill each cup about 2/3's of the way. Then bake according to the cake box. Mine baked for about 20 mins.

Once the cupcakes are cooked, take the cakes out of the pan to cool immediately. While the cakes cool prepare the frosting.

Frosting Directions:
Beat the cream cheese and butter till smooth on medium speed. Carefully beat the sugar into the mix on low speed. Stir in vanilla, then beat until smooth.

Frost the cupcakes and decorate to your liking. I always like to make twice the frosting because I like to pipe my frosting (and just in case anything happens... like today my faux piping bag burst... that's what I get for using a ziplock bag...). Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment