Monday, February 20, 2012

Vegetarian Soul Food (Part 1); Smothered Cabbage

For those of you who don't know me, I am of African-American and Korean decent so you know I got to have my soul food. Growing up my dad (the Black parent) would make cabbages from bacon (and it's grease), and as much as I loved that as a kid, I needed to a recipe for cabbages that was vegetarian friendly. I had a similar recipe to this one but when I found this recipe, I knew this was the one I would stick to for life.

Ingredients:
1 small cabbage (chopped)
2 tbsp of olive oil
1&1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp mustard seed
salt
1 tsp sugar
5 tbsp of water

In a pan on medium heat, toast the mustard seed and red pepper flakes until the mustard seed start to pop. As soon as it begins to pop, quickly add the cabbage to the pan.
Cook the cabbages for about 4 minutes until the cabbages start to wilt. Season with salt. After the four minutes, add water and sugar. Cover the pan and cook for another four minutes.
Add pepper to taste. (At this point if the cabbage needs more salt feel free to add some more)
Enjoy by themselves or with other soul food comforts such and mac and cheese and sweet potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment